Sunday, January 13, 2008

Sunday, Sunday, so good to me

Being single and over 50 on a Sunday presents a plethora of opportunities.

On a beautiful, sunny California day it's hard to stay indoors so, rather than watch the football game (like most of the entire city since the Chargers were playing), I opted to get out and enjoy the sunshine.

Now mind you, what is the favorite pastime of most women? You didn't have to think about that one for long...of course, it's shopping. So, I thought that's where I'll start.

I'm not one to Mall shop often but, on occasion, it's a grand way to fill the senses plus, (being the eternal explorer) I get to see what is happening in the world. As I walk the mall I am bombarded with frenetic activity (when you live alone this can be a shock to your system) and coupledom (hardest around Christmas and Valentines day) is everywhere in view. Now, watching couples is just fascinating to me. I find myself fantasizing about what kind of life they might live and if they are really happy together. My thoughts drift into an imaginary scenario of their morning together.

He: Morning honey. Did you sleep well? (Sun is streaming through the window while a gauzy curtain gently billows and ripples with the lazy morning breeze)

She: Well, what do you think after all that activity last night? ( her beautiful white teeth glisten as the morning sun spills on to her alabaster shoulders).

He: I can arrange for a little more activity this morning ( he breaks into a wide grin)

She: Now honey, we've got a lot to do today............

Well, you get the picture. It's not that I am lonely or even sure that I want a relationship at this point but, my mind insists on playing this game.

Even if I don't go into the store, the windows are a panarama of the "latest looks", "must have's" and "can't do without's". I am determined that I will not succumb and I am just "exploring" so I browse in a few stores before deciding to lunch at Nordie's.

One cannot shop on an empty stomach so, I order a tempting chicken salad and enjoy every bite before I complete my shopping extravaganza.

Sephora lures me inside and I loose all restraint and purchase the latest in organic skin care, new paint for the lips, and a liner to keep it from "bleeding" into the little tiny lines that surprisingly surfaced once I got new glasses.

I am now satiated (not just with my chicken salad but also with my purchases). I finish walking the mall and decide to head for home.

"The Christmas tree must come down" I tell myself as I amble towards my car. On the way home I call my daughter to finalize our lunch for tomorrow and glance into the rear view mirror for a quick check on my new lip paint. It looks good... It looks really good. There is no chance that these lips will get messed up because after all...it's Sunday and I'm single.

No comments: