Sunday, January 20, 2008

How much is that doggie in the window?

It was an impulsive thing to do. I had merely planned on going to the pet store to look at the different breeds. Certainly not to buy. I had read all the warnings about pet stores but, quite frankly, what's the difference between a pet store and the pound? You still don't know much about the dogs past history. The pet store does give you a guarantee against any genetic defects for 1 year. That is much more than you would get from the pound

So, I called my daughter and instead of our ususal lunch or shopping date on Monday's, I asked if we could go to the pet store. Being an animal affecionado, she said yes so, off we went to just "LOOK "at the puppies.

As we entered the pet store, we were greeted with wagging tails and buzzing, frenetic energy. The place was busseling with adults and children. The first dog I looked at was a Yorkshire terrier. Unfortunately, this little guy must have had something else in his genes because he didn't really look much like a yorkie and he didn't have a very cute face. The breed that I was really interested in was a Maltese or a Maltichon which is a mix of maltese and bichon frise.

I had decided that I wanted a female so, the next dog I looked at was a female maltese but, I didn't feel any kind of connection to the dog. Wait! two little black eyes were peering at me and
this dog was all of about 2.5 lbs and looked like a big cotton q-tip. We asked to see the dog and my daughter cautioned me about the fact that this dog was a male to which I replied, "oh, it's o.k. honey, I'm just going to look at him". Yeah right. That's all it took. He had the sweetest face and when we put him down on the ground he looked like a little hampster because he was so low to the ground.

I'm blogging right now and he's in my bedroom taking a snooze. I've heard about buyers remorse and I think that's what's going on with me. The responsibility is daunting with a puppy.
Not to mention that it's a lifelong commitment. The big "C". And that is something that I've been so apprehensive about. But, I pushed through my fear and now I have a dog.

The first two nights, I barely slept. Not because of the dog but, because of me being neurotic and thinking that I might do something wrong and damage him forever. He's really quite sweet and hardly barks. Last night out of sheer exhaustion, I slept a good 8 hours and although today I'm still a little tired, I think I'll have a different perspective.

Getting this dog was a big step for me. I'm proud of myself for pushing through the fear and I have a funny feeling that this is the prelude for me allowing a man in my life.

I figure it's the prelude to having a man in my life.

No comments: