Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Dog Report

I've lost track of what day it is or for that matter, even what month has rolled around on the calendar.

Having a puppy is vaguely reminiscint of my earlier single mother days. You just keep doing what you need to do and keep putting one foot forward. Everything eventually gets done and you begin to realize that all the stressing in the world doesn't change the situation. So, you relax into the idea and everything ends up working out fine. Sleep is the challenge for me.

Last night, I actually felt like staying up and watching a movie. When I got to bed (probably around 10:30) I wasn't really sleepy so, I just pondered my life. I think this dog will be wonderful for me and after we get through the puppy stage it's going to be awesome. My little guy (I've yet to name him) is spunky and somewhat obedient. I'm working on teaching him to sit (which is no small feat considering that pups have the attention span of an ant).

I am determined that he will be a well-behaved and very companiable dog. My next move is to find out about training. I spoke with someone yesterday who comes to your home and evaluates the dog and then each week (for 6 weeks) for an hour you train him with the trainer to be wonderdog. It's amazing when you see dogs that have been trained. They want to be given direction and have boundaries set for them. What I love most is that they "aim to please".
How many men have that same intention?

The trainer said that the earlier you start them the easier it is to train them from having any bad behaviours.

He's in his pen right now and barking a bit. I have to be strong and not give in to that or he will use that to get my attention. I'm going to call the trainer today and set something up. I feel so blessed that I get to have this dog. I really want to respect my neighbors and have a well mannered dog so, I'd better get crackin' and get the training started.

I'm still at a loss for a name. Not because I haven't thought of any or that my friends and family haven't given me suggestions it's just that nothing seems to fit. I've got to come up with something before I start the training because how can you train a dog with no name?

My home has become quite the menagerie. I have my cat Lola, a couple of parakeets affectionately called "The Budgie Boys" and now my little white cotton ball pup. I thank God for them. They have bridged the chasm of learning to be single and live alone. It's not easy by any means especially for someone so rooted in family. But, they are my family now no matter what.
I don't argue with them or have differences. They never abandon me, speak harshly or hurt my feelings. They shower me with unconditional love and acceptance, are always glad to see me and live in my world without complaint.

What more could any human being ask for?

No comments: